Licenses for animal experiments

There are several licenses from different Danish authorities that may be relevant and necessary for your work. The table below provides you with an overview of the different type of licenses.

For further information on how to proceed, please contact

In addition to a license for animal experiments, AEM requires you to fill out a project plan for individual experiments and breeding. The project plan is an internal work document which must be approved by a veterinarian at AEM before you can begin an experiment. In the box to the right, you can download the different types of project plans.

Type of work     

Licenses needed from the Danish Animal Experiments Inspectorate (Dyreforsøgstilsynet)

Licenses needed from the Danish Working Environment Authority (Arbejdstilsynet)

Experiments License for animal experiments None
Experiments with GMO animals or GMO mirco-organisms License for animal experiments + G form for each GMO strain used in the experiment License for gene technological research. Find the Lab ID no. for your license
Experiments with biological agents risk group >1 License for animal experiments Registration of work with biological agent
Breeding of non-GMO animals License for breeding. AEM has a general license, so you do not have to apply for one. None
Breeding of GMO animals GMO breeding license. Each scientist must have his/her own license and if necessary an additional license for animal experiments in cases where the animals develop a harmful phenotype License for gene technological research project. Find the Lab ID no. for your license