Import and export of animals
When you need to import or export experimental animals, embryos or sperm, it is important that AEM is in charge of the import and/or export. Thereby, we can make sure that the complex national and international legal requirements, and considerations for animal welfare are complied with.
The following animals or biological materials have to be acquired through AEM's import and export service:
- Animals from non-commercial vendors (e.g. a university)
- Animals from Jackson Lab
- Exotic species
- Embryos and sperm
Likewise, if you would like to export animals from AEM to an external recipient, you must use AEM's import and export function. Fill out the export form.
The service is free of charge; however, you must pay for the transport.
Fill out the import form to initiate an import. Please be aware of the individual requirements listed below.
Please note that if you import animals from a university, they must go to our quarantine unit at Panum 16.2. It is not possible for them to go to any other unit at AEM without undergoing a rederivation procedure.
If you would like your animals to be rederived, you should consider this in advance and contact the staff in charge of rederivation (TCF - Core facility for Transgenic Mice) for advice regarding which animals that are relevant to import.
The following information is needed before filling out the import form.
- Account number in AEM
- License for animal experiments from Animal Experiments Inspectorate (Dyreforsøgstilsynet), under which you are going to use the animas (if relevant). Perhaps you are going to perform your experiments under an existing license; in that case please write the number of the license. Please note that when using GMO animals in experiments, a G-form with the GMO strain must be added to the experimental license.
- GMO-breeding license from Animal Experiments Inspectorate (Dyreforsøgstilsynet), under which the animals are going to be bred (if relevant).
- License for gene technological research project from the Working Environment Authority (Arbejdstilsynet) (if relevant)
- AEM internal project number "P-nr." (a description of your intended use of the animals when they arrive, e.g. breeding, rederivation, experiment).
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions.